Friday, July 29, 2011

August 13, 2011 (1 Samuel 3; Romans 3; Jeremiah 41; Psalm 17)


Romans 3:21-26 is one of the most beautiful descriptions of how the gospel works for us. After describing in chapters 1 and 2 how all (Jew and Gentile) are utterly hopeless before holy God Paul gives us this paragraph. Because of what God has done in sending His Son to bear the wrath for us we can now freely receive life and righteousness from Him. All we do is believe. This is why Paul then in v.27 rhetorically asks what place human boasting can now have. The answer is no place. Below are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs that elucidate this glorious truth. I boast no more by Caedmon’s Call. If you know it sing it this day, if not read the words and glorify God for His mercy!
No More My God, I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of Thy Son

No more my God

No more my God

No more my God

I boast no more
Now, for the loss I bear his name,

What was my gain I count my loss

My former pride I call my shame

And nail my glory to His cross
Yes, and I must, I will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake
O may my soul be found in Him
And of His righteousness partake
Amen, amen
The best obedience of my hands

Dares not appear before Thy throne

But faith can answer Thy demands

By pleading what my Lord has done

No comments:

Post a Comment