Friday, July 29, 2011

August 3, 2011 (Judges 17, Acts 21, Jeremiah 30-31; Mark 16)


            So in Acts 21 Paul is on his way to Jerusalem feeling compelled by the Holy Spirit to go. On his way he makes a pit stop at Phillip the Evangelist’s house. While here a prophet named Agabus comes to Paul, wraps him up with his belt and tells Paul that this is what the Jewish people will do to him once he arrives there.
            Now ask yourself what you would have done in that situation. I probably would have said something like, “Thank you Lord that you have sent your servant to warn me from walking into harms way. I thought I heard you, but obviously I did not because I know that you would never want me to walk into danger. Although you have already spoken clearly, decidedly, and finally about what you want me to do I guess I heard wrong. So, I will just sit here and wait for another plan to formulate.” This is not what Paul says. He says:
I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus (v.13).
            We will probably not have the same direct revelation that Paul has had about going to Jerusalem. God does still speak thusly (i.e. in dreams and visions, etc.) but this is not the normal way He chooses to lead especially since His written revelation has been completed. We will always need to weigh the wisdom and counsel of other godly men and women as we decide our next move. When we, however, arrive at a certain degree of confidence, as to what that move is that the Lord desires let us pursue it with all we have! And if it appears to be a path laden with risk and danger let us dismiss it outright. Indeed this is often an indication that it certainly is from the Lord! Let us pursue His will with reckless abandon and leave the consequence to Him. It may be dangerous to follow Him, but it is more dangerous not to. (Reflect on the passage in 1 Kings 13 about the disobedient prophet, especially v.24)

No comments:

Post a Comment